“We are not at risk of terrorism, we are at risk of each other”, Katherine Benson of the Red Heart Campaign concludes. “Growing up in the ’80s I was taught about stranger danger. Nobody taught me to be cautious of the people that I loved.”
At the time of writing, here’s the 2018 homicide stats broken down by Red Heart.
• 38 women have been killed this year. 34 of these deaths were allegedly at the hands of men.
• Three of the dead women were allegedly killed by another woman. One situation remains unknown.
• Out of these 38 deaths, 28 women allegedly lost their lives in family violence. And out of these 28, at least 23 of them are believed to have died at the hands of a man.
• 69 men have been murdered so far in 2018. It is alleged most of these deaths were caused by another man.
• Of those 69 men who have died, 11 of those are allegedly the result of family violence. It is alleged that out of those 10 deaths, five men were killed by another male, and six were killed by a female.
Read the full article here.